22 Feb March Challenge: Squat Hold –> DOWN for it?
The March Challenge is super simple: hold a squat for a cumulative total of 30 minutes throughout the entire month. On the days you do the squat hold, do something new at some point during the day.
This squat hold is a “thighs parallel to ground squat,” not a mobility-focused or lazy low sit-squat, or a barely bending the knees “not a squat” imposter. Making it high quality (spine straight, knees tracking over toes) and challenging.
Once you hit your 30 minutes in total, you’re done! You can do 1 minute a day for the full month, challenge yourself to finish it in as few days as possible, or make it a progressive challenge, where you start with 15 or 30 seconds a day and build up to larger numbers. You own how you want to complete it–just commit to yourself to reach March 31st with your 30 minutes DONE!
What’s the deal with something new?
Just like our January Challenge (Plank + Support Others) and February Challenge (Thrusters + Growth Actions), the March Squat Hold challenge has daily dual action commitments: Squat Hold + Do Something NEW. This challenge includes your commitment to do something NEW or off-routine every day of the month. It can be as simple as a 30-second activity that you vary, or as complex as you wish.
Here are some examples:
- use a new (to you) piece of exercise equipment
- train on a new route or on a path you’ve never run or biked on
- brush your teeth with your opposite hand, while balanced on one leg or at the bottom of a single-leg squat
- learn to say hello or thank you in a new language
- run backwards (if you’ve never done it) or backwards up a hill
- skip backwards
- do a few burpees when you go down to your back instead of stomach
- skip with a rope while running for 100 meters (or 5KM … yes, I did that once!)
- try a new hand or foot position variation for body weight training
- learn a new chord on a musical instrument
- do single leg bike intervals or rowing with one hand
- cook a meal with your dominant hand tied behind your back
- if you work in a chair, avoid it for x hours or the full day
How to Join
Just ask to join this closed Facebook Group — for support and accountability. The support group on Facebook brings friendly and supportive people together from around the world (we had 10+ countries represented in our January challenge).
Once you’re in, feel free to add any friends who want to join.
It’s not required that you post on the group, or even join it in the first place. It’s more fun and motivational in a community though!
By the way, this whole thing is FREE — just good people coming together to support each other.
Helpful Tools & Ideas
Reminder and Accountability Apps: I used the app called Productive to remind me and keep accountable during our last challenge. There are others as well. These apps are excellent for accountability.
How do I join if I’m not on Facebook? Just say I’m in out loud 3 times, and you’ll be in! If you want to connect the dots and receive a virtual high-five, feel free to also drop me a note at firstname.lastname@example.org or say hi on other social media channels (links in footer).
Can I do it as a wall squat (with my back to the wall)? Yes, no problem.
Does Bring Sally Up count? Yes, if you finish Bring Sally Up, add up your squat hold time and it counts! If you’re using a barbell, go low (hip crease below knee). If you’re doing it with body weight only, thighs parallel to the ground.
Can I join the challenge, but start my own Facebook group for my gym, club, friends or community? Sure. I’d love to see you in the global group, so how about both?
I hope you join us!